Saturday, June 01, 2013

Mount Lavinia

Today I slept in and began my day with a light breakfast. I haven't been feeling very hungry lately. I had a tiny bit of noodles and lentils with a piece of bread and watermelon. I have just had a couple crackers since then. I'm not sure what my deal is.

Chandima (a staff here who is super awesome) asked how I was doing in my stomach since I was feeling really sick last night. I thought I was going to throw up but I think it was all the crying really getting my stomach in a knot. My tum tum was better. But then I started crying because my mind and heart still aren't good. He said he was going to go to a meeting and I started crying more. He asked what was wrong. I just didn't want to be alone. I'm in a strange place and I am actually the only volunteer. I am the only one here aside from canteen staff. I didn't want to spend the day alone thinking about how I'm alone. He invited me to come with him to do a bit of shopping and then I can do whatever.

So then Chandima and I left to go to the ATM where I got some rupees, we went to the store so I got some apples to snack on as well as a face towel and handkerchief to wipe my face when I sweat. And believe me, that happens a lot here. I also got an umbrella for both sun and rain. Then Chandima had to go to a meeting. So once again I was alone.

So I took a bus to Mount Lavinia. But I totally missed it (which would be like missing the West End on a Portage bus). It's a little area with historical significance... I'll get there. I accidentally went to Havelock Town, or that's what the guy on the bus told me. I went to see Vajiraramaya Temple since it was in the area. I wandered around there until a guard who spoke no English seemed to tell me I had to leave. So I did.






There was a rain storm with thunder and lightening. So I just walked around with my umbrella and still got soaked. I then caught a bus to Mount Lavinia and went to see the Mount Lavinia Hotel, which is very famous. I'm copying and pasting the story of the hotel below, the source is: http://www.lakdasun.org/forum/index.php?topic=2970.0;wap2

"In the year 1805, Sir Thomas Maitland, a gallant military General sailed to the island of Ceylon to assume duties as the second British Governor upon the orders of His Majesty the King. According to historical facts, a dancing troupe used to perform at the governor's manor in Colombo to entertain the colonial English society. The lead dancer of this dancing troupe was half Portuguese, half Sinhalese Lovina Aponsuwa. History compares Lovina Aponsuwa's beauty to a Greek goddess because of her mixed complexion, dazzling hazel brown eyes and her long flowing jet black tresses.

Within the portals of his manor, King Tom first set eyes on this beautiful Mestizo dancer and instantly fell in love with her. As a result, he built a wonderful mansion in close proximity to Lovina's humble dwelling by the sea in Galkissa. He went on to name this mansion 'Mount Lavinia' dedicating to his lover Lovina.

Even though the Mount Lavinia Hotel, over the years, was subject to a number of changes, renovations, additions, etc., its regal ambiance is still evident. The room that was used by governor Sir Thomas Maitland for his official work is still exudes its pristine glory. In this room a replica of the uniform worn by the governor as well as portraits of other governors can be seen. In the dining area of the hotel too, few changes could be observed.

Incidentally the most intriguing aspect of the governors house is the secret tunnel. Even though the governor built his mansion close to Lovina's residence, they were not privileged to meet in the open. As a result, the governor built the secret tunnel to Lovina's house from the wine cellar of his mansion.

It is believed that once news of this affair reached the British Administration, Maitland was transferred as a punishment. Incidentally the governor who was transferred within a short time span of six years, was not able to take Lovina with him.

According to legend, it is believed that Lovina committed suicide by jumping off a cliff in the vicinity of this place, as she could not bear the pain of her lover's departure. According to historical accounts, the governor also died unmarried, unable to bear the sorrow of his loss."

 My tour guide said Lavinia still haunts the mansion, which is now a hotel.

I got to see part of the tunnel, the museum (which contains many of Maitland and Lavinia's personal items), see the Governor's Suite and sit on Maitland's actual bed! It was an interesting tour!






I then went and caught a bus back to Moratuwa, where I am now. So I write to you from my dorm room. Alone. How does one make time fly when you have no one around (other than canteen staff who don't speak English)? I would love your suggestions. I am feeling sick from crying so much. I really need prayers and love right now. Thank you. Hopefully I'm in better spirits when I write again.

3 comments:

  1. First of all, way to go for getting out there and taking a little day trip. Keeping occupied in any way definitely helps with being homesick. And it seems like there are some nice people around, hopefully you will be able to make friends soon. When I was in Spain, getting close to some of the other girls made being away from home a MILLION times easier. And also work- it seemed like you really liked your day at the daycare, so maybe when you really get into your job it will be better. Love you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You continually amaze me with your independent spirit. You are not alone. You have legions of followers with you every step of the way. You are taking this trip for all of us and this blog has taken on a life of it's own. We all love you!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Laura! You ARE loved! Never doubt that, and neither are you alone. It is completely normal for things to be difficult for a period, but things will become easier for both the people around you as well as for yourself. Take time to be around the others there, try not to shut yourself off. If you are a presence around the children, they will come to you. Children are very adaptable in that way, but they will need you to be there to reaffirm that you are kind, loving, and compassionate! Keep your chin up, God is doing marvelous things through you! -Desiree

    ReplyDelete