Wednesday, June 12, 2013

Maybe July Will Be Busier?

Nothing crazy new to report.. Just feel like I should keep track of my days!

So yesterday I spent my morning in a meeting with Dr. De Silva in the Child Development Unit. He talked to me about the work they do in villages, where violations of children's rights are common. I learned that if there is abuse or a violation of a right, parents usually give the child away to give it a 'better chance'. What this program is doing is going in to communities, empowering and educating them about children's rights and how children should remain in community with their family. The solution isn't to send the kids away. The solution is to address issues of abuse, lack of education, and other basic needs that are lacking in the lives of kids. Right now they are winding down phase 4 (of 5) and in July I may be able to go on a field visit to one of these communities. Afterwards, I will be responsible for compiling data, analyzing it, and reporting on the progress made by the program. This won't happen until July, but I'm glad to have something to look forward to!

Also, I talked to the leader of the Women's Empowerment Unit on the phone. She spoke quickly and was a bit hard to understand, but from what I gathered she will meet me on the 19th. She also told me about a field visit they are going on around the 23rd-24th, and explained the itinerary to me. I'm not sure if that means I can go along or what, but that's all I really got out of that phone call. I can maybe be more involved in July... But that's unclear. She seemed preoccupied because she was talking to other people in the background.

To fill the rest of my time I have been working at the orphanage. There have been many visitors lately. I just wish that each visitor had room in their heart and home to adopt a child. Some leave donations, like clothes, toys, blankets, diapers, money, etc., so that is also good.

I worked in the office for a bit too but am more focused on my learning covenant for my practicum. It's a very short assignment and I'm half way done. Just have to talk to Bandula a bit to finish it.

Little points:
-My heartburn is pretty much gone... Yay!
-There is no such thing as 'you're welcome' here.
-Some carrots rotted in the bag I left them in (after about 2 days! What the heck!) and leaked onto the blanket and spare bed in my room. It stunk.
-I've learned that showering is best right after work. That way the cold water is refreshing, as I'm usually really hot and sweaty.
-All of the billboards here have white people on them. Yet, people look at me like I'm an alien!
-When people talk to each other it looks like they've got a huge history, when in fact they don't even know each other.
-There is security at every store and you have to leave your belongings there while you shop.
-You pay the fare on the bus based on distance. You talk to the money taker and tell him where you're going. He tells you the price. Still, very very cheap.
-I haven't been napping and I'm exhausted at the end of every day. It feels good to have an awesome sleep... although a part of me misses naps.
-Rain starts suddenly... Like turning on the light switch... BAM, pouring rain. Always carry an umbrella!
-Tea time seems to be really important here.. but no one ever joins me. Still, a whole plate of cookies and tea to myself isn't such a bad deal either!

That's all I've got for now.. Until next time...

1 comment:

  1. Thanks for the little "ditties" about Sri Lanka.
    I can relate because I did the same thing about TN.
    Always good to learn about other cultures.

    Paps

    ReplyDelete