Thursday, June 27, 2013

Speaking with the Deaf

The past couple of days I have skipped out on part of the afternoon at Suwasetha. I have been going to the building next door (also under the same name) where the girls with various limitations attend trades classes.

I have been visiting with 3-5 girls who are deaf and learning to sew. The are there for a 9-month program where they learn to make clothes and accessories and then can send their products off to companies to view their work... like a portfolio! I visited them the first day I arrived and have signed 'hi' to them in passing but I thought that since I'd spent some time with Jayaca (who is their instructor) it would be nice to spend some time with the girls too. So I tried to learn some basic signs online to communicate... "How are you?" etc... Turns out that in Sri Lanka you don't learn American Sign Language (ASL) but a different kind. Perhaps British Sign Language? So my signs aren't always helpful but at least some of them are close to what they know. We have also been writing English words (their spelling and grammar is not great, but at least I understand what they're getting at!) and drawing pictures to convey what we want to say. They cannot speak as some deaf people can... It's mostly just a series of 'uhh' and 'ahh' and other grunting voices. Sometimes I talk out my signs to them, and they're super basic and have a different set of grammar uses. But they seem to understand what I'm saying.

This is a picture of some baby pants for their portfolio! Each set of pants have a different bum-pocket style. My camera died, so I'll try to capture that soon!


Another girl there taught me how to make paper lotuses! It's like origami! She left today to go home. She is getting married in about 3 weeks! She will return and I'll see her again!



So yesterday one girl said she would sew me a dress, and I offered to pay her. She motioned 'no' so I signed that "I buy fabric, give you, you sew, give me" and she seemed satisfied with that. I also asked if "I buy fabric, give you, you sew, give me, my mom" and she also said she could do that for me. She sketched out a dress and used other creations to figure out if I liked puffy sleeves, elastic waistlines, etc and she also took my measurements. Now I just have to go and get the fabric. I will probably go back to Mafasa, where I got the sarees. They have a lot of fabrics and also are fairly priced. I even got a discount last time I went. Not sure why, but I'd be happy to get one again!

I learned many signs like 'cat' and 'dog' and also some of the fruits like 'orange' and 'mango'. I'm glad they're patient with me, because I really do want to learn! We also write things out with our fingers, like on a table or our arms or a wall if pen and paper are not available. It works! I'm surprising how easy it is to read something that isn't actually written in ink! It's pushed me to be more creative and use/develop skills I never thought I'd need.

Today I went back and had tea and showed the girls my photo album which has pictures of my family, Emma and Eli, and the sights around Winnipeg. They seemed really interested, especially when I explained "my school, past, deaf school, now just school" They seemed to like it and I think they understood what I was trying to get at. CMU was a school for the deaf before it became what it is now. It was a neat connection to have. They also showed me some things they were making and wanted to see me sew and do needle point. I wasn't stellar at either but I think I can definitely get better.

I got a 'sign name' which is basically a unique sign to identify a person, rather then spell out the name or motion 'she/he'. Mine is putting your thumb and index finger together and tapping the side of your nose. I am positive this is because I have a nose piercing! Each girl has a sign name and I am doing a good job remembering them for the most part! The girl who is sewing for me is your first two fingers pointed and tapping your temple twice. I don't know her real name, but it's not like I could say "Hey, so-and-so". Doesn't matter. I feel pretty special to have a sign name!

Two of the girls are 19 and two are 21. The 'tapping the temple' girl is getting married in December to a young man she seems to have known for a long time. She showed me pictures in her photo albums. He is also deaf. I'm happy for her! She asked if Max and I hug or kiss, and I said both. She motioned that they only hug and after marriage they can kiss. That is patience! She was raised in Suwasetha because she was given to the orphanage. She is the youngest of 3 children, and her parents seemed to think it would be easier to 'give her away' than raise a deaf child. I think that's sick! It made me really sad, and she doesn't want to see her mom or dad. I don't blame her! Nothing about that situation is ok.

We showed each other some dance moves and my gosh it's so true that white people can't dance. They've got the moves! Those girls are so graceful and expressive in their dancing, it was just beautiful to see! My YMCA and the chicken dance seriously do not match up.

Below is a picture of me and 'tapping the temple' and another girl whose sign name is like, the peace sign, but with one finger on your eyebrow and one below your eye with your palm facing out... Reminds me of Sailor Moon! Sorry I look disgusting. It was really hot! And yes, people here are that short/I'm that tall.




I have plans to meet with the director in charge of Ma Sevana, the home for teenage moms and those young women in a transition phase after birthing their child. Hopefully I can find a time to go there and learn more about how women are ending up there and what their options are once their child is born. Things seem pretty grim as the baby is usually given away and the pregnant daughter can often be disowned. What drives this??

Below is a picture of the children's side of the orphanage. It is for kids around age 2-3. I am not sure I can take pictures of the children, so this is just the empty room (they were outside playing... good timing!) There are about 14 children in that side.


Not sure what's in store for me for the next little while, but a new girl named Chelsey is here and she is down for going on adventures... Might be some crazy times the next few weekends! I'll update again soon.

1 comment:

  1. I'm so proud of you for making a "connection" with these lovely girls. They will probably always remember you and the friendship you extended to them.
    I'm excited to see what they sew for us!!

    ReplyDelete