Monday, June 10, 2013

"Free to a Good Home"

Today was a very average day. I went to the children's home in the morning and again at 3:00. Between lunch and 3, I went to the pharmacy to get some Gaviscon for my heartburn. It woke me up in the wee hours of the night and was very intense in the morning. Erandi let me have a PeptoBismal tablet of hers and it didn't do too much. I had my lunch quickly and then went to get the Gaviscon. It is a syrup and is peppermint flavored. It's a little gross but it seems to work alright. It's 6:36pm... It's been 15 hours of heartburn... Either the pain is slowly going away or I'm just getting used to the pain. I really hope it's going away!

One of the children at the nutrition center had her 2nd birthday today and her mother (no older than me) and her grandmother were present. The mother baked a cake shaped as a dress and had that delicious icing from the cakes I'd have as a kid. (The ones that are really bad for you!) I'm not sure what the story is with this girl or her mother but I was really happy to see her be involved at some level. Maybe they are working some court issue out and she will take her daughter back soon.

There was another sad shirt on one of the children today... It read 'Free to a Good Home". I know that would normally be funny if the child had a family, because let's face it, kids can be annoying and we want some space some times. But when the child has no home and is desperate to have a loving family it just makes it sad. It's like when you walk down the street and there's a cardboard box of kittens and in sharpie a sign says 'Free to a Good Home'. Maybe it's wrong of me to liken these kids to animals, but I'm just trying to compare the situation. They weren't wanted... They need a proper home.

I also talked to Bandula about trying out some other programs to add some variety to my schedule. I am arranging for a meeting with the leader of a women's empowerment program, a youth activity center (sounds like a drop-in center for people 18-30), and also with a doctor that is working to reintegrate orphans into society. None of this is certain yet, but just in the planning stages. Soon I should be able to talk to the directors of the programs and learn a bit more about what they do and how I can be involved. I'm hopefully meeting with someone at 9:30am tomorrow, but that has yet to be determined.

That's really all for today. I'm thinking that I might just update once every couple days if things stay boring like this. Hopefully when I have an exciting schedule I can write more frequently with more exciting things.  Take care

No comments:

Post a Comment