Tuesday, June 25, 2013

Opening of the Family Resource Centre

The past several days have been outrageous. I realize it's been almost a week since I posted. That's super lame of me, and for that I apologize.

On Saturday, Erandi and I went shopping with Jaiyaca for sarees. Jaiyaca directs the sewing class for deaf girls in Suwasetha Centre. She is very nice and offered to take us shopping in Moratuwa. We left after lunch (post-breastfeeding training, which was also 3 hours of listening to Sinhalese) and took a bus for about 10 minutes to the train station. This is the end of the bus loop and luckily it's the stop we needed to get to Mafasa, the saree store. We were there for about 30-45 minutes I'd guess trying on sarees and looking at all the pretty fabrics. Sarees are basically one looooong piece of fabric that gets wrapped around you a few times. Once around, pleated and tucked in front, and wrapped around and up to the shoulder where it is pleated again. So to try it on is very easy, I just tuck the fabric into my waistband and wrap it around. I definitely got help with the pleating though! I think I tried on about 7 and looked at many more from various price points. I didn't want one too bold (as many of them are) and I wanted dark colors that would compliment my light skin tone. Since everyone here is dark, they have a lot of whites and pastels... that just washes me out! Luckily I found some that I liked. I bought the three sarees (which have the material for the blouse piece but that has to be made) and a black underskirt. I already have a maroon underskirt from my saree so I can also use that... the colors 'work'. Here is a video to show how sarees are draped if anyone is curious and/or if my description above just didn't do it for you: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RIuILZCGyXE



After buying them for a vedy vedy good price we headed back to our neck of the woods. Erandi and I stopped at Cargill's Food City to buy some water and snacks while Jaiyaca went back to Suwasetha. We ended up buying a swiss roll cake and chocolate ice cream to snack on once we got back to the hostel. It was super cheap and super delicious, even though the ice cream was more like a milkshake by the time we got home. I also bought water, crackers, and a Mr. Noodles packet.

Later in the evening Erandi and a matron and I went to the temple for Poson Poya Day. This is a very special day for Buddhists here because this is when Buddhism came to Sri Lanka. People brought offerings to the 28 Buddha statues (Buddha was reincarnated 28 times before achieving enlightenment) and when they walk by you with the offerings, you can touch it and put your hands together in the 'prayer' position. It's kind of like a solidarity thing that you're also wanting to participate. Anyways, we did that and then looked inside a building that housed 28 more Buddhas (with offerings) and a large sculpture of the reclining Buddha and a ton of art about the Buddha's life. We also walked around the stupa (big white dome with a steeple type thing) where there were 4 more Buddhas. We listened to the monk chant and meditated for a minute or two before going to see the Bodhi tree. We walked around it 7 times (not sure about the significance of that number) and poured water on the base of the tree. We also lit 3 oil lamps. The area was smokey with incense and humming with the chanting of the monk. We were there for about an hour, and then we walked back to the hostel.





The next morning Erandi and I met up with Jaiyaca again to take us to get fitted for our blouses. It is just a few blocks (and twists and turns) away. It is a woman's house and she appeared busy with scraps of fabric everywhere! She had the TV blasting the dhamma and chanting by the monks for Poson Poya Day. There were flies all over the floor (not sure why) but she seemed to know what she was doing and was very nice. I just don't like flies. I hate the feeling when they land on you! Anyways, the woman said she would have our saree blouses done on Saturday (6 days). That's a tall order since I have 3 blouses and Erandi has 2! She must be at this all day. I'm not sure how much it will cost, but I'm excited to have more sarees. I think I can rock them because I am tall and slim. That's what people have said anyways. Later I'll do a 'fashion show' and put those pictures up.

After my lunch of Mr. Noodles (I borrowed Erandi's kettle!) I left with Amara and Dianiaca for the village of Nelumpura. We were in a nice safari van, and although it didn't have a/c, opening the windows still worked. There was a lot of leg room (I could extend my legs fully). We stopped for tea and short eats (snacks) and then carried on our way. It was about a 8 hour trip, but that includes our stopping to use the washroom and eat, etc. We arrived at night and stayed in a nice guest house. There was a mix up, and I ended up getting my own room. It was still nice and had all the facilities I needed... plus a giant bed! I had to climb 3 floors outside to get to my room but it was worth it. I had a nice, yet short sleep as we planned to leave for the ceremony at 6:30am.

The next morning I was ready and in my saree. I had brought all my things to the lobby and was checking my email. I was then informed that we were now leaving at 7:30am. I almost died! I would have killed for an extra hour in bed! But soon I got some tea and breakfast (string hoppers and curry) and got some more water. Lots of people commented on my saree and said I looked 'beautiful'. I almost fell asleep on the way to the village but once we got there I was energized. There were women outside of the Family Resource Centre with their goods to sell and chairs set up to listen to the program. I think it's just in a woman's house, because there is a kitchen and several bedrooms... There were also personal belongings. The woman who owned the house recently lost her husband who was serving in the army and was raising 2 young boys. We started a collection pot to help save for their future. They welcomed me to the ceremony, while Amara cut the ribbon over the threshold, and I was involved with taking pictures and I even got to light the oil lamp, which is a very important symbol, as I explained before. Then we browsed through the items the women had to sell. I think they were mostly widows with young children. I bought a woven storage contained for $1, some rice (gifts), and oil cakes. Then we had tea and dessert and proceeded to a temple.








It is an important temple in Sri Lanka, now available to everyone since the war is over and you can travel freely to the North. It is said to have one of the Buddha's teeth in it (I think that's what they were saying). To celebrate the holiday, thousands of people were there giving offerings and wrapping the stupa in an orange cloth, as well as the Bodhi tree. I presented offerings of lotus flowers  and other white flowers. People were staring at me and many people were commenting on my saree (again!). When I got a picture taken by the stupa (circa 2nd century!) a crowd of people came close and watched as I smiled and afterwards talked to Amara. It was weird! It was so hot out and you have to be barefoot in the temple area... My feet were burning on the sand and stone! Yikes! Someone stole our driver's shoes, but he didn't seem super upset. We then drove back to the Family Resource Centre for lunch, and would leave for home 'immediately after'.





We did not have lunch at the Family Resource Centre and we did not leave for home immediately after. We got a take away lunch and hung around for about an hour and a half. We drove the 8 hours home and also stopped for tea and short eats. By the time we arrived at the hostel it was 10:30. I was beat. So I showered and went to bed.

Observations from this weekend:
-People give out free things this Poson Poya weekend. I got: 2x juice, tea, rice drink, 3x watermelon, corn, sweets, ice cream, and cookies. They believe that if you can make someone else happy, you will be happy in return. I guess it's a karma thing. I was certainly happy! The picture below is a stand giving out corn that they boiled over a fire (hence the smoke!).



-At the end of anyone's name you add 'aca'. This means sister. So Jaiya becomes Jaiyaca. Jaiya sister. Everyone here sees everyone else as brother or sister. It's nice! You can also just call someone 'aca' which is what I do if I forget their name. :P

-I saw a wild elephant meandered up to the road side and was munching away on leaves. I also saw some monkeys cross the road.

-There are highways here, but they don't feel like highways because the road is always lined with shops and houses. On the 8 hour journey I imagine maybe 1 hour maximum was looking out at rice paddies and forests.




-Roadside stands sold pineapples from 20Rs to 100 Rs. That's about $0.17-$0.81! I love that they're so cheap here! They seem to 'grow like weeds' as my mother would say.


I am ready for the next adventure. Amara says Trincomalee (North East) and Kandy (Central) are two more places they're going to soon. For now, I wait!

No comments:

Post a Comment