Monday, May 06, 2013

Saree Shopping!

Today was a totally awesome day! I went out with my Uncle Jim and his girlfriend, Carole to have brunch and go saree shopping!

We began our day at 12:00 at Smitty's on Meadowood (in St. Vital) with a nice brunch. I had a Sunrise Skillet (mushrooms, green onions, bacon, cheese, hash browns, and eggs with toast) while my Uncle had a Western Skillet and Carole had a Smitty's Omelette. It was very filling and an awesome way to start our day... brunch is totally underrated.

Then we walked over to Andaaz Fashions, which is conveniently in the same shopping strip. An appointment was made for me at 2:00 to be fit for a saree, but we arrived a bit early to take a peek at some of the styles and colors... and there were many! After perusing some of the stock, the man in charge (Tejinder) asked me what colors I might be interested in, to which I obviously replied 'purple'. We saw about 7 different sarees... some with paisleys and others with flowers. Sequins, beads, beautiful embroidery... they were all stunning. I think that Uncle Jim, Carole, and myself all had our eye on one that is a maroonish/purple/dark pink (depending on the light!) with some swirls and flowers, also done in a beautiful green and gold stitching. Sukmeet, the woman in charge, helped to put it on me, and although it looked a little weird with my Adidas pink high-tops, yoga pants, and American Eagle shirt, I could definitely look past it and imagine myself with the proper blouse and petticoat. We had another contender that was a more bright pink color with lots of flash and sequins, but it wasn't quite 'me'. So, a unanimous decision was made and the first saree it was! Next, I got measured for the blouse and petticoat, which will be sewn to fit me in just the right way. Sukmeet is even making it a little more modest for me by lengthening the blouse! Even the back of the blouse will have the beautiful pattern throughout it... I cannot wait for it to be made so I can wear it in the full-on 100% Indian way!

So for now, I wait. It should be made in about 10 days, but maybe even sooner! As soon as I go back and try it on again, I will take pictures to post! I am so excited!!!!!!

Thank you Uncle Jim and Carole for a wonderful day, and your generosity in helping me choose the most beautiful saree! <3 :)

Here is a sneak peek....






2 comments:

  1. Great choice Laura! The colors look amazing!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Laura looks so pretty in her saree.

    Dad

    ReplyDelete