Wednesday, July 31, 2013

One Month To Go

Here I am. July 31. Feeling down.

I think I've just been realizing that there are lots of things I still want to do here, but I only have a short while to do it! Luckily I have been able to talk to Bandula about these things and he is helping me to arrange and accomplish them. So far.

1. On August 6 I will be joining the Child Development Unit in Galle for project evaluation and discussing with another village what may happen if they are selected to join in a Shramadana Project. I have already made the spreadsheets to compile the data from the surveys they are conducting. Despite them being 'basic' I am satisfied. I did it all off the top of my head with no programming.

2. August 7 I will leave for a 5-day home stay in a village called Damunupola, which is about 12km from Kegalle. Apparently I can take a train to Rambukkana, where I will be picked up by the district coordinator. Later I will be taken to Kegalle on the 12th to take a bus back to Colombo. I am going there with an open mind and open slate. They suggested I teach English, but I am not sure how to do that when I have no knowledge of Sinhalese to translate. "Hello, how are you?" is the same as ???? in Sinhalese. I thought it would be nice to work at a home garden and just learn about the functions of village life. I'm here to learn, after all!

3. A few days after I get back, I will be going to Matara for a field visit with the Child Development Unit. Same process as #1. This is on August 15.

4. Around the 17-20 I want to plan a trip to Kandy for 1 night to see the Esala Perahera Festival; one of the best in Asia! I am able to stay at the Kandy District Centre and can maybe arrange for a bus or train there. But apparently it is very crazy and crowded and that tickets and hotel rooms are booked months in advance!

5. Remaining sights to see: Sigiriya/Dambulla/Polonaruwa as well as Jaffna and the North. However, Bandula doesn't seem to like the idea of me going alone to the North. I would just want the company but am not really afraid to go alone. I know security is still high there, but maybe that's a protective thing, not because there is danger? I got the same vibe in Israel. It's not like I haven't been exposed, but I would need to be properly prepared with documents of my accommodations. I can take a night bus there or a plane, but the night bus sounds cheaper. I hope to stay 2-3 days. Sigiriya is a 'must-see' and is accessible by bus. Apparently it is expensive at $40 a person, but I will look into that! The trip to Sigiriya/Dambulla/Polonaruwa would be 2-3 days. I'm worried about cutting into my 'work hours' but I think these sights are very important to see for the recent (and not so recent) history of Sri Lanka.

I've finally got my invoice for June and July housing and food plus my one-time admin fee. It's a lot of money all at once, but it's still much less than I expected. I came in to this experience anticipating about $20/day but it has turned out to be about half of that! Sweet!

The girls in the trades school are leaving on August 8 and that makes me very sad! I am going to go out and buy a little cake and see if I can find some cheap nail polish. We painted our nails together one day (I think I mentioned it) but they only have two colors. These girls have no money and I'd love to throw them a mini-graduation party as they complete their program. Everything here is cheap so I'm not worried about cost. Plus, they've brought me so much joy and friendship. They asked for my address and gave me their addresses and I hope to mail them some goodies in the future. They are also sewing me a dress and my mom a skirt. I would love to pay them back in some way.

I am really missing home and feeling in a slump lately. It's almost the same feeling as when I first arrived... a bit empty, slow-moving, and lacking energy. It's also hard because I've felt kind of ignored by Bandula in regards to my requests and just in life. Everyone who is new gets noticed and more privileges and opportunities. Despite asking many times, I am often ignored or put on the back burner. Apparently being sensitive and having feelings has kept me from 'getting out there'. Sorry I cried in the open and sought help rather than curl up and die in my room. It's left me bitter and a bit resentful towards some people but at least I'm loaded with opportunities for August (making the time fly faster?) and have had a good time overall.

There are new girls at the orphanage who are annoying me so bad. When asked if they should undress the kids prior to their bath, I suggested they leave the bottoms on until it is their turn because many children will pee and sometimes poop on the floor. So obviously the girls take off the bottoms and the tops and I was left cleaning two pee puddles after one girl said "Oh, she peed." WHAT DID I TELL YOU? Also they have been telling me things about the kids as if I was new there, and half of what they're saying isn't true. "So and so is the youngest" --no they're not. "This baby is breathing fast, her nose is clogged" --babies breathe faster (small lungs maybe?) and her nose was running because she was crying, and I cleaned it. "Her head is so big" --yes, it is. She was also very premature, and that's apparently a 'thing' with premature babies. Then they'll repeat those things... "Oh she's so small but her head is big" --Oh my gosh, we've been through this. I've been at the orphanage longer than you, I'm trying to help you and make things easier for you! Please listen to me!

One of the children had blood in her mouth today and I was trying to figure it out. Sometimes she is treated roughly by staff because she doesn't do well at feeding. I personally think it's the approach of hand-feeding the staff take, but when I suggest spoon feeding or smaller portions, I get told "She doesn't like food." So that's already bugging me. And they've got her pinned between a sofa and a high chair so she can stand while she is sobbing and coughing. It was wrong! She can't balance all that well and she ended up on the ground (not sure how). When I changed her I noticed blood on her hand and cheek. I opened her mouth and saw the blood from around her gums on top/where that piece of skin connects to your upper lip. I told the nurse so maybe she could make sure that's all it was and she said "It doesn't matter. Cream is poison. It is her teeth." Yeah, ok... I wasn't suggesting putting cream on, but what if she fell and really did get a good cut in her mouth that maybe needed stitches? Her teeth are already almost all the way in so I don't thing it was teething. But I was very disturbed by the lack of empathy anyone had for her and the unwillingness by all the staff to exhaust different feeding options. Maybe that's why today I have felt 'down'. This incident really bothered me and I did not return to work for the afternoon.

I also did not return because I had a terrible headache. I think I'm very dehydrated and today was 29.. feels like 42 with 70% humidity. I was very hot on the inside but cool on the outside because my fan was on. I laid down for about an hour after a few hours of skyping with Max. I really needed it, although I feel about the same. Trying to be sure to drink lots of water, although I'm not sure how much to drink in a day.

Jayaca said she would teach me how to make pancakes, or 'fancakes' as they are pronounced here! they're basically like crepes and so delicious. There are chocolate pancakes and coconut pancakes... Mmm! I'm excited to learn. I asked her to tell me how to make daal like they do here because it is very delicious (and has been my staple for 8 weeks... I don't know how to live without it!).

Fast points... sorry if these are repeats:

-I saw the Trevon Martin case on TV

-People do not always turn off their vehicles while fueling up. It freaks me out big time!

-Uniforms are required for school and different colors represent different age groups. All white is older students and blue and white are for younger students.

-There are short eat tuk tuks and bakery tuk tuks that drive around blasting "Fur Elise" as if it's the ice cream truck. They don't have ice cream, but they do have jam buns for about 25Rs (30 cents!)

-I saw a man walking his dog. This is significant because there are many strays, and while some have string, ribbon, or collars around their necks, this doesn't mean they are walked, let in the house, etc. I have not seen anyone even touch a dog here because many are sick. It gave me hope to see at least one person love and care like that.

-"Prisoners are Human Beings" sign outside of two Colombo Jails. Kind of a stating the obvious thing, but still a friendly reminder that those who are incarcerated still have people who love them, whom they love and do have feelings, despite what we may try to think.

-The four major rivers in Sri Lanka all originate from Adam's Peak!

-I saw a sign at a restaurant that said "Today's Special: Rice and Curry!". That's funny, because that's been the special for me for 2 months!

That's all I got for right now. Thanks for reading about my venting! ;)

No comments:

Post a Comment