Wednesday, August 21, 2013

What I Learned, What I Look Forward To, and What I Appreciate.

Alright. This is it. Less than a week left! I am more excited to go than I am sad to leave. It's been tough. But I've learned a lot.

1- I do not want to be with a job where I am away from home for so long. It isn't always fun to live out of a suitcase and not really have a 'home' of my own. All I have is a dorm room and shared bathroom. I don't want that to be my life.

2- I really value my family and having some sort of regular relationship that is long lasting. I made great friends here, but will I see them again? I'm not sure.

3- I can get sick anywhere and survive. Ant attack, ear infection, fever, vomiting, dizziness, diarrhea, dehydration, gastritis, you name it, I survived it. It's hard being away from your mom when you're sick. No matter how old you are. (Wise words from 'my favourite aunt who lives on Portage Ave.')

4a- As much as I love rigid schedules, it's not always the way society works. I've learned to adapt to "Sri Lankan Time". Let's meet at 1:30. That time comes. Oh, let's meet at 2:00. Then meetings get pushed and people are late and the culture here flies by the seat of their pants. I am learning how to 'go with the flow'.

4b- Don't expect to find out about something until too late. At 7:15am I was informed that the canteen was closed for the day. Had I known, I would have prepared better for my meals during the day.

5- Do buy yourself a familiar treat. Sometimes just having a bit of ice cream made me feel better... With most foods here being totally different, sometimes it's really nice to snack on something you know.

6- People seem impressed when you speak some words in their language or wear what is culturally appropriate. I always get nice comments about wearing a saree and also stumbling over Sinhala words. There was a woman who obviously was not from Sri Lanka dressed in very short shorts and a cropped tight and low cut tank top with body jewelry hanging out. That brings about unwanted attention and just makes you look stupid. Look around!

7- Even if there is something you might want to pack but don't know if you'll want/need it pack it anyways! There have been several times I just wanted my cuticle cutter! I debated bringing it but thought "Ehh.. I don't really use it much". Turns out that's the one thing I should have packed but didn't. I haven't seen anything like it at the store.

8- It's ok to cry! Even if it's the ugly cry. But maybe save the ugly cry for a private place.

9- Figure out what can or cannot be bought before traveling. Nepali and Sri Lankan stores do not sell roll on deodorant. Some don't even sell the spray on kind! Luckily I have enough!

10- Be assertive and stand up for yourself. Indicate clearly what you want and/or need and follow up! If you don't do that early on then you may regret it later. Since I was not assertive when I arrived I didn't accomplish all of the goals I wanted to. Don't do what you think someone wants you to do. Do what makes you happy. Make sure saying 'yes' to somebody else isn't actually a 'no' to yourself.

11- Don't put up with anything that makes you uncomfortable! Unkind words, unwelcome touch, etc.. And if you get that sketchy gut feeling, listen to it! One man offered Karen and I a free ride to somewhere about an hour and a half away. Weird since everyone here has a charge for something. Turns out he was interested in sex! Gross! Good thing we did not get in his car!

Things I'm ready for/that I now appreciate:

1- Not having rice 2x a day, every day.

2- Living in a cooler climate. 40C and humidity is hard to bear. Plus I'm always clammy or sweaty. Nasty.

3- Winnipeg's population is like, half a million. Colombo is 16 million. I'm really looking forward to fewer crowds and less pollution. Riding on transit makes my skin black and dirty from the pollution and exhaust. A layer of grime can always be scratched off of my skin.

4- No more tourist prices! The cost for a Sri Lankan person to go to the zoo: 100Rs. The cost for a tourist: 2000Rs.

5- I have had about 4-5 hot showers in 3 months. Only cold. While they're nice after a hot work day, I will love going back to warm showers. (Beth, every time the water is cold I think of how much you'd hate it)

6- Not worrying where my water came from. I had two sips of tap water and had terrible stomach cramps after. Drinking bottled water is wasteful but the only way to have cold water because it is safe.

7- I will not have to tuck in my mosquito net and make sure my bed is bug-free.

8- Things will be normal size, like beds and doorways! Also, clothes and shoes will be able to fit me! People here are very small and my feet hang over the bed, I duck for some doorways, and I'm like a XL in their sizes!

Well, I think that's all I have for now. Just reflecting. :)

3 comments:

  1. I was so impressed with this latest blog entry.
    You have grown mentally so much these last three months.
    Sounds like we'll have you close by for a bit when you return, that would be great!
    Paps

    ReplyDelete
  2. These are all insightful reflections. You're probably not quite the same girl that got on the plane in Winnipeg all those long weeks ago.
    You have embarked on an immersion of sorts in another culture in a foreign land. You can't help but re-emerge more tolerant, grateful,wiser and stronger in spirit than ever before! AND your journey is really only beginning!!

    So proud to be your mom xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  3. Population of Colombo is less than 700,000 not 16 million!

    ReplyDelete